Friday, May 17, 2013

Short interview with the radiant Rene Folsom










Do you ever start accidentally writing Jonah and Ella into one of your Roommate Romance books?
Their names?  No.  Their personalities?  Yes.  I’ve also wanted to use the name Ella over again—not on purpose—but just because her character is still speaking to me.

What gave you the inspiration to do two series that are totally different in content?
Initially, Voices of the Soul was supposed to be a standalone short story for the Paranormal Anthology with a Twist.  After my editor and partner in crime read it, she insisted I continue the story and make a series out of it.  However, I’ve always wanted to write erotica.  While Twist was still being compiled and formatted, I was given a Valentine’s Day challenge that resulted in Heart You.  This year, on Valentine’s Day, Cynthia Shepp posted a Goodreads group thread challenging authors to come up with a short story using the following prompts: Valentine’s Day, candy conversation hearts, a love triangle, a black rose, and water balloons.  Needless to say, I pumped something out fairly quick.  After talking with Cynthia, who is also my editor, I decided to expand on the story and publish it.  I was already done with several other short stories by this point, but they were not published yet.  So, Heart You became my first published book and was inspired by Cynthia’s challenging prompts.  Therefore a whole new series was born through no fault of my own!  (Okay, that’s a lie—but I still like to blame it on Cynthia because I can.)

What gives you the ideas that you use for the Roommate Romance series?
I can never avoid this question!  But, really, I don’t mind answering.  All my readers want to know if my naughty bits are inspired by my own experiences.  My answer, although vague, is usually this: All fiction is based on some form of reality—otherwise we would never have the inspiration or knowledge to dream up the realistic situations we portray with our words.  I am proud to say that my personal experiences have been inspirational, though perhaps not always identical to that of my fictional characters. Where reality and fantasy diverge, however, must remain my little secret...
I will tell you one little tidbit I haven’t shared with the public yet (this is a first).  The gala basement scene from Bind Me is “based” on a real-life experience of my own.  Which situations are real versus fiction will never be revealed.

You use purple a lot in the Soul Seer series. Is that your favorite color?
Yes.  Purple and green are my favorite color combination.  My birthstone is also amethyst, so that’s a plus.

Would you ever consider moving from the current Paranormal and Erotica genre that you write in and write something that is outside your comfort zone?
I’ve considered it and might possibly venture into another genre eventually.  But, that moment is very far off in the distance.  I can’t seem to steer clear from romance at the moment.  No matter what I try to write, the characters always end up making out in the end.  :)

If you had to write something that was completely out of your genre and you had a time frame to write it, would you accept the challenge or would you need more time to think on it and get it perfect?
I guess that would depend on the timeframe and what writing projects I currently had on my plate.  I wanted to participate in a paranormal YA anthology recently, but I couldn’t seem to grasp the youthfulness I needed in the short time I had.  I really wanted to participate in it, but it just didn’t happen and the last thing I wanted was for the story to feel forced.

What is a must have when you sit down to write?
My laptop.  I know, y’all are thinking, “well, duh!”  What I mean is, I seem to write more freely on my laptop than I do sitting at a desk.  I’m not sure why that is, but sitting at my large 27” iMac screen is just too busy and cluttered with work projects.  It makes it hard to concentrate.  When using my laptop, I can carry it wherever I damn well please in order to be in a comfortable and quiet atmosphere.  I also like some Twizzlers and Mountain Dew… but it’s not an absolute must, especially when I’m inspired.




Rene's books on Amazon





Rene on Goodreads

Rene on Facebook

 

No comments:

Post a Comment